CV & Resume Guide
What makes a good Curriculum Vitae?
There is no single “correct” way to write and present a CV but the following general rules apply:
- It is targeted on the specific job or career area for which you are applying and brings out the relevant skills you have to offer
- It is carefully and clearly laid out: logically ordered, easy to read and not cramped
- It is informative but concise.
- It is accurate in content, spelling, and grammar. If you mention attention to detail as a skill, make sure your spelling and grammar are perfect!
- Font and sizing are consistent throughout. Use headings and sub-headings
What is the purpose of a Cover Letter?
Be sure to keep track of all the firms that you have applied to and for which particular role. Don’t duplicate by sending many, many emailed CVs for the same role. You will look desperate.
Follow-up with a courtesy call or polite email to inquire if your application was received. It also shows professionalism and initiative!
Personalise each cover-letter and CV for each job vacancy. Don’t be lazy and send the same cover-letter and CV for all your job applications!
Hiring managers will want to read specifically why you want to work for their firm, and what experience/ skills you have relevant to that particular job.
If you are fortunate enough that you have relatives or friends that work for the firm or know the senior managers, ask them if they could make an introduction or recommendation of you.
Sending out the Cover Letter & CV
A cover letter is an introduction about yourself – it is your first impression to an employer.
- It explains WHO YOU ARE, WHICH POSITION YOU WISH TO APPLY FOR.
- It explains WHY YOU ARE APPLYING FOR THIS JOB.
- It gives EXAMPLES of your skills, experience or qualifications RELEVANT TO THE JOB.
- It also gives you the chance to DISTINGUISH YOURSELF from all the other applicants.
- It should IMPRESS and INTEREST the Interviewer enough to want to read your attached CV.
- It Should NOT BE MORE THAN 1 PAGE LONG.
- It should state your AVAILABILITY TO START WORK / TO ATTEND AN INTERVIEW.
- And FINALLY your contact details so they can CONTACT YOU FOR AN INTERVIEW.
Personal recommendations to the hiring manager are very effective if a job has many, many applicants applying for the role.
Submit a CV
By submitting your CV, we will be able to match your skills, qualifications and expertise to the perfect position for you.